The "Story Behind the Curve" helps us understand why the data on heart disease is the way that it is in our community. When we understand the root causes of our community problems, we have a better chance of finding the right solutions, together.
What's Helping? These are the positive forces are work in our community and beyond that influence this issue in our community.
- Many programs in place to support heart health
- Collaboration between local agencies and organizations
- Developing a "culture of health"
- Free opportunities available for blood pressure checks and health screenings throughout the year
Health department staff show the importance of "Knowing Your Numbers"
What's Hurting? These are the negative forces are work in our community and beyond that influence this issue in our community.
- Not many environmental supports in place to support an active lifestyle
- Fast food restaurant density
- High perceived cost of healthy food
- High cost of managing this disease
- 1 in 4 residents live in poverty
between poverty and chronic disease-- disease burden is higher in the
poor and the poor have decreased access to health services