Our Mission calls us to serve all persons with special attention to those who are poor and vulnerable, to provide care that sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities and to be advocates for a compassionate and just society—and that is what Ascension Medical Mission at Home is all about. Providence is part of Ascension, the largest nonprofit health system in the U.S. and the world’s largest Catholic health system. Other Ascension sites across the nation have held medical mission events in their communities. Five Ascension Medical Mission at Home events have occurred in Texas. Ascension’s Seton Healthcare Family in Austin has hosted three.
On this special day of healing, the Waco Convention Center is turned into a medical arena, outfitted with medical bays, a pharmacy, and areas for spiritual care, and vision and dental services. Free services include:
- Medical care for the entire family
- Dental for adults only
- Vision for the entire family – Child prescriptions will be filled on-site while adult prescriptions will be mailed or delivered to a pre-designated location.
- Spiritual Care – Prayer partners will roam the facility to pray with the patients but will also have a more private area for more serious discussions
- Foot washing – In the spirit of representing Jesus, we will provide a foot washing, toe nail trimming and foot massage to all who wish to participate.
- Diabetes screenings for adults only
- Breast Health Exams
- Lab Services – Full lab services provided
- Pharmacy – Prescriptions filled at the event
- Shoes and Socks – during triage, patients will be assessed for the need for new shoes
- Flu Vaccines – adults only
- Food – volunteers will be passing out water, fruit or granola bars to patients. Caritas will also be on-hand to distribute food and provide resources for the future.
- Community Services – Community resources will be on-hand to assist patients with personal or family needs.