What are the positive factors that are contributing to you reaching your desired result?
- Navarro Regional Hospital and OBGYNs, Hope Center: Prenatal care is available to families in our county
- Hope Clinic in Ennis: Provides low-cost medical care.
- Local Health Department: Offers the PEDIA Clinic as well as support for WIC.
- Healthcare available in nearby cities: If there are issues during pregnancy or after delivery, there are higher level facilities close enough for residents.
What are the negative factors that are restricting you from reaching your desired result?
- Affordability of healthcare: Lack of insurance and options for families that take their insurance. Lack of an indigent care program.
- Education: Women may not know they are pregnant or they lack education on what to do. There are also women in fear of letting others know about their pregnancy.
- Transportation: Restrictions on getting to doctor as well as hours doctors are available.
- Low usage of preventative programs: Barriers to getting families and individuals into health programs and keeping them engaged.
What populations are the most disadvantaged and what causes these disparities?
- Low-income population: Those that lack health insurance
- Teens who become pregnant: Often lack of education on knowing they are pregnant or conceal pregnancy and are high-risk because of their age.
- Rural residents: Those who are far away from resources.
Are there foreseeable factors that will affect your work over the next few months to a year?
- COVID-19: Less individuals and families are going to see their doctor
- COVID baby boom
- Loss of insurance due to unemployment by COVID
What additional research is needed to better understand the factors that influence the slope of the curve and related disparities?
- High maternal mortality rates for African-American women
- How many more people will be unemployed or underemployed because of COVID?
- What are helpful engagement strategies to help to parents to education events?
- In communities that have free or low-cost prenatal care, have they been able to turn the curve?