What are the positive factors that are contributing to you reaching your desired result?
- School resumes: more interaction with mandated reporters, less stress on parents, more regular access to food
- Access to parent education through a variety of agencies
- Funding in the community for preventative programs
- More awareness about child abuse and neglect than in previous generations
What are the negative factors that are restricting you from reaching your desired result?
- Isolation: families living in rural areas, limited outside household interaction
- Children being home for extended period of time due to COVID, increase in parents' level
- % of families living in poverty
- Increase in number of families facing economic hardships (due to Covid)
- Low number of children in daycare pre-Covid and now even more so with Covid
What populations are the most disadvantaged and what causes these disparities?
- Families with limited access to daycare due to financial instability
- Non-citizens: hesitation to interact with law enforcement and/or attempt to obtain helpful resource such as parenting education or financial assistance
- Linguistic isolation-English is not their first language
- Families living in poverty
- Children identified as having special needs
- Single parent household: financial stress, potential inconsistencies in caregivers, increase in emotional stress
- Parents with limited educational skills
- Teen parents with limited support
Are there foreseeable factors that will affect your work over the next few months to a year?
- Due to Covid, the potential for more shutdowns, children being back at home for extended periods of time
- Increase in economic harship due to Covid
- Change in District Attorney with potential changes in how crimes are addressed and new policies implemented
- Decrease in giving to non-profits due to Covid and economic hardships
What additional research is needed to better understand the factors that influence the slope of the curve and related disparities?
- Census findings for 2020
- Monitoring annual poverty for the county
- Evaluating success of current prevention measures and identifying additional avenues for support
- Findings from Early Development Instrument