What are the positive factors that are contributing to you reaching your desired result?
- State/Federal Funded Pre-k Program: Head Start, Early Head Start, Pre-k 3, Prek 4, birth to 2.5, ECI
- Community Education: Several programs in county offering education for parents
- Local daycares, Mother's day out programs
- Variety of options for daycare and early childhood education
What are the negative factors that are restricting you from reaching your desired result?
- Low rate of daycare attendance: lack of transportation, lack of finances, ineligible for free programs
- Lack of information available
- Language barrier
- No Pre-K programs in rural areas
- Parents are not able to purchase technology needed to prepare their children.
- Limited childcare centers: some aren't able to re-open due to pandemic
- Daycare is expensive, childcare subsidies are limited.
- Parents aren't spending enough time working with their children as their first educator. Parents also feel unprepared to fill this role and feel they don't have time to do this.
- Many parents are not taking their children to school before K. Instead they go with family members and there is no learning taking place.
What populations are the most disadvantaged and what causes these disparities?
- Rural areas
- Lower middle class-do not qualify for free programs but do not make enough money to pay out of pocket
- Low socio-economic families
- Lack of transportation
- Spanish-speaking families, Pacific Islanders
Are there foreseeable factors that will affect your work over the next few months to a year?
- Potential resources put in place to offer tution to families that do not meet requirements for free program
- Addressing unknowns due to Pandemic: low resources for PPE for example
- Children being out of school for a long period of time due to pandemic: transitioning back to school-readjustment
- Increased job loss in county: emotional, financial stress-unable to pay for daycare when they once were
- Potential to reclose
What additional research is needed to better understand the factors that influence the slope of the curve and related disparities?
- What resources are available to the rural areas/what resources are needed for those in rural areas?
- What role does culture play in not enrolling child in early education programs?
- Survey parents to understand their needs in helping their children become more ready for school