"Story Behind the Curve" helps us understand why the data on falls is the way that it is in our community. When we understand the
root causes of our community problems, we have a better chance of
finding the right solutions, together.
What's Helping? These are the positive forces are work in our community and beyond that influence this issue in our community.
- Many fall prevention programs already in place
- Supportive Department on Aging and Senior Center
- Relationship with Western Carolina University's Physical Therapy Program
- Proven ROI on fall prevention programs
Participants at the Senior Center participate in Get Some Balance in Your Life, a balance class developed by UNC's Center for Aging and Health
What's Hurting? These are the negative forces are work in our community and beyond that influence this issue in our community.
- Aging population
- Lack of coordination between services-- need for multi-pronged community approach to address falls through fall risk identification, home assessments, balance classes, and more
- Rural, secluded, spread out population
- Few transportation opportunities for those who can't drive