"Story Behind the Curve" helps us understand why the data on heart
disease is the way that it is in our community. When we understand the
root causes of our community problems, we have a better chance of
finding the right solutions, together.
What's Helping? These are the positive forces are work in our community and beyond that influence this issue in our community.
- Many programs in place to support screenings
- Collaboration between local agencies and organizations
- Developing a "culture of health"
Tag2Nag media campaign from the American Cancer Society, promoting colon cancer screening at age 50.
What's Hurting? These are the negative forces are work in our community and beyond that influence this issue in our community.
- Not many environmental supports in place to support an active lifestyle
- Fast food restaurant density
- High perceived cost of healthy food
- High cost of managing this disease
- 1 in 4 residents live in poverty
between poverty and chronic disease-- disease burden is higher in the
poor and the poor have decreased access to health services