Establish and train teams to reach out to all community members to communicate the importance of early childhood education.
Develop supports for preschool programs with a focus on home care providers.
Develop (advertising) campaign to communicate the importance of early childhood education.
Implement the Center for Disease Control's Let's Move Child Care Program -- guidelines on how to achieve this are posted on their website and the program is free to all home daycare providers across the country.
Offer an opportunity to obtain NAFCC accreditation for 5 home daycare providers in Southington. The process for obtaining accreditation from the National Association of Family Child Care (NAFCC) is outlined here. These recommendations are set forth by the NAFCC. This accreditation would be applicable to interested home daycare providers in Southington, Plantsville and Milldale.
1) Gather interest from local providers (Southington Daycare Providers Association -- SDPA).
2) The ECCS is sending Michelle Slimak to the Train the Trainer workshop at the NAFCC conference in July 2014. Michelle will offer the 8 hour training at no cost to the providers in Southington, date TBD, most likely August or September of 2014.
3) Distribute applications to apply for accreditation to any interested SDPA or ECCS members.
4) Offer monthly support and information meetings for those going through the process so they can have help if needed and can stay on track to complete the process as the entire accreditation process takes about one year to complete.
5) Offer scholarships to those who are interested in seeking the accreditation – the cost is $1000 per provider.
6) Identify a program manager to supervise the application process for the local providers and have them added to listserve on the NAFCC website.
7) Track info about who is going through accreditation, so the ECCS can share that info with future groups and funders.
8 )Be in touch with other state reps who can serve as program manager resources (a close contact for CT is the rep from VT)
9) If CT is going to go forward with a QRIS, the ECCS should ensure that accreditation is a viable option to quality rating. For example, in WI it is worth 4 stars, with appropriate education...5 stars (out of 5) is the highest that one can be rated.
10) The ECCS suggests gathering the following data:
Provider fees before/after accreditation
Town, county of provider
Curriculum used before/after accreditation
Changes in programming due to accreditation
% of open spots before/after accreditation
11) Since there are only two NAFCC accredited providers in the entire State of CT, make Southington a leader and model for other communities who might be considering this level of high quality home daycare accreditation.